May-Ling's Reviews > The Population Bomb

The Population Bomb by Paul R. Ehrlich

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: saving-the-world, stanford-professor-authors
Read from May 02 to June 17, 2010

i finally got around to reading paul ehrlich's pivotal book on population and i'm glad i read it. more than expected, it's a little more doom and gloom, but i think that's my perception mostly based around his predictions for the state of the world by 1970 and the apocalyptic ink drawings. they are so simple, but stark and depressing.

overall, i agree that his message is spot on and the highlights from the book include some of his proposed solutions. some of them are simple and others innovative. he even proposes some socially unacceptable answers to overpopulation, which makes some of his more conservative fixes even more appealing to the general public (not just extremely progressive folks like me!)

overall, it's an incredible piece of work and outlined so nicely - perhaps all non-fiction books should have similar types of organization since i found it very effective (the problem, why you should care, what could happen, what you can do, the future...) eventually, i'll need to pick up one of his more current works to see how far he's come in fifty years, which i'm sure will blow me away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Population Bomb.