Sarah's Reviews > Sworn to Silence

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Nov 18, 09

bookshelves: first-reads, fiction, mystery
Read in November, 2009

I entered to win this off of First Reads not really knowing much about it. It then got pushed to the bottom of my to-read pile because, as much as I hate to admit it, I judged the book by its cover. It didn’t look as interesting as the synopsis promised, and I was expecting a lame murder mystery. I was pleasantly surprised, therefore, to start reading and find out it is actually a pretty good story. It’s not stellar, but it held its own enough to earn a place on my bookshelf rather than being passed along to the donation bin. The Amish background offered something different that set it apart from other murder mysteries. It read fairly quickly, partially because I got caught up in the drama and caught myself sneaking it into class to read during lectures. For readers like me who like a good mystery every now and then, but would like a little more literary quality then the typical fare, this is worth checking out. The love story is predictable, Kate’s fixation on her past is a bit tedious at times, but overall it’s an intriguing murder mystery. Bonus points...I didn’t guess who the murderer was which is a rarity (sadly) in today’s lackluster paperback mystery genre.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sworn to Silence.