Sara's Reviews > The Naughty List

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: 2010, young-adult
Recommended to Sara by: Goodreads
Read on April 03, 2010

2.5 stars. Tessa is the captain of her school's cheer squad, which masquerades at night as a detective agency dedicated to catching cheating boyfriends in the act. She's disheartened to find that no accused cheater has ever been proven innocent but still has hope that one will, especially when her own boyfriend is accused of cheating.

I really liked the concept of this book but didn't love the execution of it. The characters all felt sorely underdeveloped, with all conversations very superficial or only relating to the task at hand instead of giving any insight as to why the characters are the way they are. I never fully understood why Tessa and her friends were friends, or why Tessa and her boyfriend were attracted to each other (other than their looks, that is). Also, Tessa really bothered me as a main character. She constantly called her friends and boyfriend out whenever they'd be the slightest bit unpretentious and used exclamations in her narration such as "Mashed potatoes and gravy!" instead of swearing. I think this was supposed to be cute, but it felt incredibly forced and really broke up the narration.

The plot ended up feeling quite flimsy, as the "my boyfriend's been accused of cheating!" part - which, by the way, was mentioned on the back cover, so this is not a spoiler - didn't even start until probably 3/4 of the way through. Until then, it was all about Tessa being insecure and trying to balance her after-hours activities with her social life.

This was certainly not a bad book and parts of it were fun, but overall, it lacked the depth and heart that could have made it much more enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naughty List.