Tcpils's Reviews > Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung

Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs

Jan 18, 10

Read in November, 2009

Due to the many excellent reviews of Lester Bangs' writing I plodded through this drug induced tome searching for a reason to like it. After reading all 416 pages I still hadn't found one. I know it's not nice to speak ill of the dead but quite frankly I think Lester Bangs is full of shit. By presenting himself to the public as some kind of "outlaw" music critic he has even conned himself into believing there was a deep and profound meaning to the punk scene of the late 1970s. Unable to take rock and roll at face value (probably because of all the drugs he ingested) he confuses bad music with philosophy. Sorry Lester but Lou Reed does not have the answer to life's mysteries and Iggy Pop is not trying to explain the human condition in esoteric messages imbedded in his songs.
And for you younger readers, which is probaly anyone under age 50, the material is dated and the music is obscure. Don't bother with this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung.