Lenette Graham's Reviews > Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away

Secret Daughter by June Cross

Dec 15, 09

bookshelves: memoirs-autobiographies
Read in November, 2009

I feel a real kinship with June! I was there! I can totally relate to this book! As a mulatto child growing up, my Polish mother decided to leave me in Detroit with my Black father as she went off to Vegas with some new dude! WTH?!? So I grew up identifying as Black, not mixed, bi-racial or mulatto, even though I was often mistaken for being a Latina with my semi-straight/slightly wavy hair. I am just now, as an adult, recognizing my Polish ancestry. Partly because of my children. With my mother having been born in Poland, there is a wealth of information that my children have gotten from my grandmother (their great-grandmother) about their ancestry. They think it's pretty cool that they look like they do and have mixed ancestry. My son Elijah especially, who is often mistaken for being of Ethiopian ancestry. He's beautiful with his chocolate complexion and dark eyes, lush eyelashes and shiny eyebrows.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Daughter.

11/04/2009 page 185

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy jones Iplan on reading this soon! My experiance is one of being a biracial child that was adopted by black parents so I grew up identifying with being black and only found out at 18 that I was part Irish

Lenette Graham OMG Kathy!! And you totally look Irish with those freckles and your red hair! I knew from looking at you that you were of European descent!

message 1: by Precious (new)

Precious Williams This book sounds interesting - I will add it to my list! And my experience is the opposite of yours Lenette and Kathy. I'm black and was raised by a white family in an all-white town.