Tyler's Reviews > VALIS

VALIS by Philip K. Dick

M 50x66
Nov 04, 2009

3.5 Stars, really.

What the book accomplishes best is making you feel mad yourself, with the constant flip flopping philosophy and the frantic nature of the character themselves. It's pretty masterful writing/author intent there, making you feel mad just by making YOU scramble as much as the characters. And the fact that really, the debates in this are quite accurate to a lot of net debates I've seen concerning religion adds some credibility to how people act.

Very little happens in the way of an actual conventional plot so be prepared to read theory after theory after theory. I'll admit that sometimes it lost my interest because of that, but it would regain it eventually anyway and I was still able to piece together what Fat believed at that point in time.

The writing style does the trick. The style is sci-fi sounding even when you realize it's not even really a sci-fi book. It has elements sure but it never fully embraces the genre. The book's pretty funny too: it made me laugh numerous times and I loved Kevin and anything to do with his cat. However, I found some of it inconsistent. I'm all for flip flopping moods but I don't think he quite got it sometimes.

Still, this is definitely worth a read but I'm not in love with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read VALIS.