Manday's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Dec 06, 09

bookshelves: 2009, seasonal-challenge-2009-winter, fantasy-scifi
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** If you liked Twilight, chances are you will like this, because it uses all the exact same mechanisms as Twilight.

Replacing Bella we have the Wanda/Melanie character - a first person female who cannot lie (or really hide her emotions at all), who is into self sacrifice, and who loves someone desperately who has reason to try and resisting those feelings towards her. She is also weak and must depend on the males around her for protection, and she ultimately holds the special key to saving the family she loves. (I mean more the medicine/raid bit than the ending).

Replacing Edward we have Jared, who is just as Emo, conflicted about his feelings towards her (admittedly for different reasons), who ultimately comes around in the end. Oh, and he is older than the main character and feels the need to not "take advantage" of her.

Then there is "Jacob:" - A second male lead who is infitely patient and understands the main character the best of anyone, who falls in love with her inexplicably and who it seems is destined to get a broken heart.

I am not saying there are not differences, but some lines in it could have been taken straight out of Twilight. Other themes it shared in common was the obsession with mortality versus immortality and the inherenent evil in mankind.

That said, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. After all, I did enjoy Twilight quite a bit!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

12/04/2009 page 150
24.19% "For the first 80 pages of this I was ust sort of wondering along, counting pages, but around page 100 it got me and now I can't put it down!"