Don's Reviews > Gateway

Gateway by Frederik Pohl

Nov 04, 09

bookshelves: fantasy

This is the second book I've read by author Frederik Pohl. JEM was the first book and I enjoyed that one and thought I'd pick up his most famous book Gateway. I thought this book was well written, I like how it keeps jumping from past to present and how the main character is trying to come to grips with himself. Basically the past story is about the main characters experience on Gateway, this abandoned alien made transportation station found out in space. The human race doesn't understand the technology but there are alien ships on Gateway that can transport you anywhere in the universe. Only problem is they don't know how to control where you go or if you'll ever come back. So the main character is one of the guinea pigs that they use to send out in this ships to see where they go and if they'll ever come back. The future story some 10-20 years later the main character is getting assessed by a kind of robot psychologist. All you really seem to know is he is now extremely (from his adventures on Gateway) and very troubled about what happened in his past. It kept me guessing right up until the end when you find out what happened on his final voyage out on Gateway; what made him so wealthy and yet so troubled. Good read, worth reading at least once if your into Sci-fi writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gateway.