Terri M.'s Reviews > The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum

Nov 18, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Lovers of Oz
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

I don't often ready biographies, but I have had a lifelong love affair with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and after finally seeing Wicked on stage, I had to know more about the man that birthed Oz.

The writing was choppy and seemed forced which seemed to mirror Baum's haphazard life and career--moving from place to place never quite finding his equilibrium until he start writing and publishing his children's books. After reaching the end of the book, the final chapter or epilogue was probably the best writing in the book. The author, I feel, has a stronger affection for the movie than Baum and his original Oz novels based on the level of detail given towards the making of the 1939 classic movie. I do have a new found knowledge regarding the differences in the movie and the first Oz book. Since I finished the book, I have been asking myself, why would Dorothy wanted to return to dust bowl of Kansas in the middle of the Great Depression?

The book provides a great background on Baum's life. However, at times it feels like you are barely moving forward.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Wizard of Oz.