Lisa's Reviews > Already Dead

Nov 05, 09

bookshelves: 2009, murders-and-misdeeds, vamps-witches-wolves-oh-my
Recommended for: Jade
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

Gritty, hard-boiled crime novel, but in this our P.I. is a Rogue Vampyre, cracking the case while negotiating the many vamp hierarchies and fighting off the worse side effects of the Vyrus.

I really enjoyed this book - the world of the many low-lives and seedy hangouts that Pitt, our protagonist, is embroiled in seems straight from the pages of any noir, and the twists and turns in the case he's taken on are well thought out and executed. I loved the many different factions of the vamp nation, and the politics behind their clans ring true.

The Vyrus itself (and the other virus that's creating the shamblers, or Victims of Zombification) aren't supernatural in origin, and the powers or senses that it lends to its hosts don't require any huge suspension of disbelief and aren't there just for plot convenience (unlike Twilight's Alice and Edward, whose powers always seem to crop up when there's no way out of a plot hole).

A significant notch in quality above the Anita Blake novels that I've read so far, and it's much more likely that I'll pick up the next in this series before I go back to the former (which will only be when I'm in the middle of a vampire fiction drought).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Already Dead.