Rachel's Reviews > The Five Love Languages of Teenagers

The Five Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman

2097698
Dec 05, 09

Read in November, 2009

I think I finished it. You know what? I KNOW I finished it. It doesn't matter if the statement is true because I refuse to pick it up again.

I can't understand why Gary Chapman would want to write another book about Love Languages (For teens this time) when the people who understood his first one (for spouses) would very likely be able to translate it into love for teens. The only logical explanation appears to be:for the money.

In any case, I don't care for this book. I think the paper it was written on could've been put to better use. I was utterly bored by it, and just to "finish" it was a struggle, because frankly, his style of writing needs editing, and I simply felt like I was being lectured throughout the entire book.

Basically, it's the same thing all over again, but he adds in little things he thinks of just before he decides to begin the next chapter like, "Set rules, but not too many." "Don't treat them like children." "Make the rules specific." "Make the consequences clear BEFORE the act is committed".

Those are about the most memorable three lines in the entire book. And I think it would've fared better if he'd written it like it was an instruction manual, as follows:

1) Determine the primary love language of teenager
7) Do not assault them
8) Do not spoil them
9) Train them well
10) Teach responsibility
11) Do not attempt behavior modification. May result in robot-like drones that may or may not bear resentment towards you.

Voila! The entire essence of the book could've fit onto 1 page and a lot less trees would've died.

Maybe he caught me on an off mood, but this is just not a book I'd recommend to anyone. Pick up the one for spouses and once one get's it all down pat, it will work for teens too. I'm most definitely not going to be reading the Five Love Languages of Children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Love Languages of Teenagers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Félix (new)

Félix Okay you convinced me -- I will not read it.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Neither will I

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix Copycat.

message 4: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Doesn't it bug you when an author milks an idea like that?

Rachel @ Larry and Stephen, heck yeah we won't! There's better use for the hours of the day.

@ Annalisa, it doooes!

Rachel Yeah, I read that one first, and I thought it was great so I tried this one, and it just didn't work out. :(

message 7: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon His LL for Children is actually quite good, and is relevant as a separate book from the one on spouses. Young children cannot identify their love languages, and so he gives us tips on how to determine the love languages with one too young to know what their's are. I have not read the one on teens, your review was helpful - but wanted to point out that the different abstract thinking abilities of children do make that book a different and relevant read.