Emily Townsley's Reviews > Behind You

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: english-420
Read in October, 2009

Fiction/Death/Healing/Interracial

Behind You is written from the perspective of six different people. Each chapter title is named for the person who narrates it. The book begins with the death of Jeremiah and the rest of the story is about the healing process that his friends and family pass through as they deal with the loss.

This book was just ok. It had a good message about healing, but was written in confusing fashion. I feel that I never really got to know the characters. I didn't necessarily sympathize with them, because Jacqueline Woodson never makes readers feel attached to the late Jeremiah. Every character was dealing with different issues in addition to the death; some I was interested in, others I wasn't. Woodson does have a talent for writing in different dialects. It was easy to see who was black and who was white from the way she wrote. Readers get a better feel for each character because the way of speaking differs for each one as well. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to anyone, as I didn't love it. I wonder if this was the sequel to another book I should have read first, if so I might be less confused. Overall, I give a so-so rating to Behind You.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind You.