Amy Stipp's Reviews > The Shadows of Ghadames

The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: books-from-asia

This book wouldn't interest guys much, I don't think. It's a coming of age tale of a girl at the end of the 19th century in Libya.
The beginning of the story we are introduced t her mom, her father, her half-brother, and her brothers mother, all of whom live together. She tells her story as though living with two mothers is delightful. We find later on that it has been a rough road for the two women to be married to the same man.
The author does a nice job explaining the traditions and customs of the day through flowing conversation dialogue.
I would recommend this book for 5-8th grade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadows of Ghadames.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

L11-Mary Utterback This is a story of a coming of age tale told through the eyes of a girl in Libya. As I was reading I couldn't help but feel sorry for this girl who has no freedoms and she seems to so intelligent with a true desire to be educated like her brother. The story of the two wives was strange but I realize in other countries this is common practice. i agree that the author did a great job of interpreting traditions for the reader who may not have a lot of prior knowledge. This was an easy read that I would recommend this to grades 5-8.