Allegra's Reviews > Survivors: True Stories of Children in the Holocaust

F 50x66
Nov 03, 2009

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books-rick
Read in October, 2009

"Survivors" is about children that went through the holocaust. The book was told in short stories. My favorite one was "I am a Partisan now". It was about Mathei Jakel. He was just ten years old when he joined the partisans. As a test to see if he could be considered and trusted as a "man" he was told to shoot a young woman who had assisted the Nazis. The question is whether Mathei would be able to say goodbye to his childhood forever by committing the unspeakable crime of murder, or would he risk his security within the partisans and keep what little innocence he had left.

I can make a text to text connection from this book to the book "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Like Mathei, the main character in "The Hunger Games" Katniss Everdeen must chose to take a life or risk their security and possibly their own life within the twisted game that life has thrown at the. However both in the end chose to kill in order to win at the twisted game they are playing. In order to win they had to live.

I give "Survivors" four stars because the stories were really touching. The way that the authors were able to craft the short stories was phenomenal. The authors took the painful story and made it into something that made the reader really care about. By crafting these stories so beautifully the authors really make the reader remember the horror that was the holocaust. The only thing that I had a problem with in the whole book was that because the people telling the stories were from Germany there were some foreign words in the book and I had to keep flipping back and forth to the dictionary in the back of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survivors.