Gerald Camp's Reviews > The Lacuna

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Nov 04, 09

Read in November, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lacuna.

11/03/2009 page 150

Bill Hi Gerald, I just started reading this. Obviously you liked it.

Gerald Camp Over the past few months I've read everything by Kingsolver as she was the principal focus of our local Writers' Conference. Lacuna is not my favorite, "Prodigal Summer" is, and I love her essays, but I really enjoyed the book and was honored to be on a panel discussion with her about the book. Living in Mexico made the book really live for me, and I was thoroughly delighted with the opportunity to meet and talk with Kingsolver.

Bill Yeah, that must have been really neat to meet her and talk to her. Did you get her to sign any books for you?

I was reading an article in a magazine about Tollar Cranston and his place where you live. He, of course, is very famous in Canada for his figure skating. I gather he paints now. His place looked really neat.

message 4: by Gerald (last edited Jun 14, 2010 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gerald Camp Kingsolver signed all the hardbacks by her that I own: five, I think, and she signed my copy of her book of poetry for my daughter-in-law, who is about to have her first book of poetry published. Kingsolver is a delightful, generous woman. We get a famous writer here about every six months. Tom Robbins (very fun), Erica Jong (total ego) were the two before BK.

Don't know Tollar Cranston, but there are several well-known people who live here: Doc Severenson, John Davidson, and me, of course. It's a great place to live for all kinds of reasons. Great place to visit, too. If you come, I'll be happy to show you around. Can even rent you an apartment cheap if you come at the right time.

I checked out the Cranston article, and will visit his gallery. His art looks fascinating, if way beyond my budget.

The article should be a warning to you if you plan to visit. Cranston came for a two week visit and, according to the article, was looking for a real estate agent 24 hours after his arrival. Happens all the time!