Elyse Bradley's Reviews > Feathers

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: english-420
Read in November, 2009

Genre: Drama/Racism/Hope/Religion

I was surprised to find this novel so involved in religious themes, but was not unsettled by its' didactic nature. Woodson tells the story of eleven year old Frannie who lives on the "other side" of the highway, in a community that is unabashedly not white. When a new white boy comes to school one day, Frannie begins thinking in new ways and change comes as a result. I thought the issue of racism was addressed very appropriately and I enjoyed having the perspective of a black person looking at a white minority. I was also very happy to have Frannie's brother Sean as a deaf person represented so colorfully. I think the deaf culture in general is very unacknowledged and I liked gaining perspective into that lifestyle. I found myself experiencing some of the same religious disappointments as the characters and then feeling that feathery hope in the end, just as Frannie does. While the main character is markedly younger than most young adult novel protagonists, I think the symbolism calls for more mature reading. I would recommend 14 years old and up to read this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feathers.