Tiny Pants's Reviews > I Will Always Love You

1381942
Dec 07, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, series, young-adult
Read in December, 2009

I had low, low, low expectations for this book -- I was worried the ghostwriters would come up with something crazy, that they'd ruin the way the series had originally ended (which I'd found if not satisfying then at least unexpected), or worst, that this was going to become some kind of hideous tie-in with the TV series, which while I enjoy it on its own terms I feel like is sacrilege in terms of the way the characters were developed in the books.

And yet -- surprise -- I LOVED IT. I was worried that the premise -- winter break for the four years the core characters were in college -- would be a bit precious and too elliptical, it actually worked really well, enabling them to cover a large amount of ground in a pleasing way. I was also thrilled that in addition to capping off the Gossip Girl series (what will I do without it!?!) that it also provides a bit of a coda for The It Girl, which is ending this spring with it's tenth book, Classic. Strange I know, but shallow, narcissistic, and nihilistic as these characters are, I've become quite attached to them (as likely have many other readers).

Finding out a bit more about how things turn out for them is genuinely pleasurable -- I had to spread out reading this book for as long as I could, forcing myself to take long breaks between reading each of the four sections. I can only hope that sooner or later, everyone gets over vampires, werewolves, etc., and we come back around to this. It's happened before -- R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike killed off Sweet Valley et al., only to wind up themselves falling victim first to Harry Potter and then to Gossip Girl.

The other big hope is hinted at in the New Yorker's recent article about Alloy Media -- that they are considering another Gossip Girl sequel that looks at the characters ten years out (so in their early 30s). I can't believe I'm waxing so rhapsodic over Gossip Girl, but whatever -- THAT would really be something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Always Love You.