LeAnna's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Aug 03, 2011

bookshelves: i-own-it
Read in July, 2011

What a lovely little book. The only things I didn't like were that 1) it occasionally seemed like things were written into the letters that wouldn't really have been written in real life but were there to serve the plot and 2) it seems a little hard to believe some of the characters couldn't see some things coming. I'm terrible at guessing outcomes, but it was kind of hit-you-over-the-head obvious.

That said, the characters in this book are wonderful. A variety of different types of people of the sort that inhabit small towns. I wish they were real people because I would like to spend an evening with them. I smiled and chuckled several times throughout the book at their turns of phrase. I really liked that the book was written in letters - it really let the characters shine through, since it was literally written in their own words. And I love the way that many of the characters wrote. It makes me want to sit down and write letters, but I know I wouldn't write them so well.

Even though this takes place during the German Occupation of the channel islands and includes a character that lived through a concentration camp, the ghastliness of it all did not override the story. It has a sweet little love story and a happy ending.

Tara I thought this book was great!!! Hope you enjoy it.