AJ LeBlanc's Reviews > Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Feb 03, 2010

bookshelves: food, memoirs, non-fiction
Read in January, 2010

This book is going to be tossed into one of four categories:

1. Meat eaters who will dismiss it as PETA propaganda and will never read it.

2. Meat eaters who know what goes into the process of making their meat, but are willing to accept that they refuse to acknowledge it and won't read the book.

3. Meat eaters who want to learn more about where their food comes from and/or are thinking of becoming vegetarian or vegan.

4. Vegetarian and vegans who are looking for more information and ammo for their arguments and discussions.

(People in categories 1 and 4 shouldn't argue with each other. Neither is going to change the other's mind and they're going to piss off each other and everyone around them. It'd be like Rush Limbaugh sitting down with Rachel Maddow. Just don't.)

I liked this book because it isn't preachy. Foer isn't trying to tell you that you have to do anything. He tells his own story of food and how he decided to become vegetarian. He interviews people from all facets of the food industry and does very little commentary. There are interviews from PETA, family farmers, slaughter house workers and owners, ranchers, animal rights activists, and more. The only group he could not get an interview with was factory farmers, especially the corporations that run them. There are several stories from people who aren't identified.

I knew going in that there was very little that was going to surprise me. I've been happily sitting in the "willing to accept that I refuse to acknowledge what I know is true" camp, but have decided for health, environmental, and animal welfare issues that I want to change back to a vegetarian diet.

Does meat taste good? Yes. Do I have to eat it? No.

The only thing that surprised me was that Foer doesn't talk about diary and eggs. He touches a bit on the fishing industry and briefly mentions the difference between broiler chickens and laying chickens, but he never talks about milk. I don't know why he didn't research this and I assume he and his family is lacto-ovo.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.

Nicole Watson did you get this from a library?!?! Its all the rage right now, I've been waiting for weeks to get it from the library!!

message 2: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ LeBlanc Yep, I am a HUGE fan of inter-library loan. :) I'm probably going to buy this because it has great information. I'm almost done and will do a full review soon.