Templehurst's Reviews > Slightly Dangerous

Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh

May 01, 14

bookshelves: library, 2009, napoleonic-regency, 2014, moved-on, re-read
Read on May 01, 2014, read count: 2

Had only read one other book in the series, but it was Wulf who caught my interest, so I was looking forward to this. It doesn't so much pay homage to Pride and Prejudice as it dives right in, but since I like the original, I wasn't really taken aback. Wulf is the pretty typical aloof and silent duke with a heart of gold, if not marshmallow, and Christine... Well, I got a bit annoyed with her at times, tbh. I admired her staunch refusal of him, admired how she was full of joy and adapted well to loss, but was as frustrated as any of her detractors at her escapades, which really did seem fairly beyond the pale. Apparently I'm just as high in the instep as any other guests at the house party, but I really did have a lot of trouble seeing her and Wulf still happy in a few years. Yes, he needed to loosen up, and yes, she brought him light and joy and love etc., but I'm not sure she's going to be happy as a duchess. At the same time, she was surprisingly wise and, of course, terribly nice and kind, and has the assistance of all the other Bedwyns when push inevitably comes to shove, and all will end well--not, as indeed she says, happily ever after, but with love. But I'm not quite buying it.

The other family members provided some of the best scenes, even though I hadn't read all about them. Particularly enjoyed them plotting together, and they saved a lot of the book for me, by preventing it from becoming a traditional romance with just a few extra characters thrown in for distraction. I liked how the plot took a year or so to wrap up, which I think is much more realistic, and which made up for some of the weaker ways they were constantly thrown together earlier in the plot. Overall, not bad.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slightly Dangerous.

05/01/2014 marked as: currently-reading