dara's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009, overrated
Recommended for: no one with any self-respect
Read in November, 2009

How is it that this book is popular?

I don't get it.

I really don't.

I decided to try listening to an audio book on my 9-hour drive to Florida. Being poor, I naturally turned to the library and was not surprised by its pitiful selection. This was one of the few titles available in CD format. Simply to pass the time, I listened to over 4 discs. I started zoning out during disc 3. By the middle of disc 5, I reached my limit. I have another 9 hours of driving Sunday, but I won't bother finishing this. I am a bit obsessive about finishing even bad books, but I have overcome this in order to admit to myself that I just don't give a fuck about how this book ends.

The characters are ridiculous (the audio is a bonus since Norah sounds like Lady from Disney's Lady and the Tramp) and the plot just drags on pointlessly. The Downs Syndrome daughter hardly even factors in. This book is just a few explicit sex scenes away from being a trashy romance novel. It has all the other elements, after all. For Frith's sake, the relationships within are... stupid. Just fucking stupid. One character's car breaks down. A trucker gives her a lift home, spends the night on the couch, and then tracks her down a year later and they fall in love and get married. Gimme a break.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.