Rick's Reviews > The Gates of Rome

May 25, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in May, 2008

** spoiler alert ** First off, there was nothing wrong with the writing, or the pacing or action. It was all fine. But because this is historical fiction and I am trained in history, certain things about this book bothered me enough to really lessen my enjoyment of reading it. If this were an alternate history, it wouldn't bother me, because in an alternate history novel, the end is different (duh, right?). But because I know this is going to the same end as the histories, then historical inaccuracies just stick in my craw.

****SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!***************

OK, my main issues with the book:

Marcus Brutus and Julius Caesar did not grow up together. Caesar was 15 years older than Brutus. I mean, sure, it makes it more "dramatic" to have them grow up together like brothers, but it is wrong. Just like if a book had Lincoln and Jefferson Davis growing up together and was put out as a historical fiction.

This is one of many things that just annoyed.

Caesar's father didn't die in a slave rebellion. He just keeled over one day. There is another. The list goes on.

And the character of the wiseman, the guy who has semi-mystic healing powers and can see glimpses of the future? For god's sake, this is supposed to be historical fiction, not a freaking fantasy!! Feh.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gates of Rome.

03/01 marked as: read

message 1: by Feng (new)

Feng I just read a liitle of chapter one and the same issue of you also came to me. Then I gave up to continute to read more.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Thanks, I greatly prefer hist accuracy in my hist fiction.

Chaudhry Afrasiyab i absolutely agree with u , and have no difference of opinion this book should have been banned for taking the mick out of history in such a way that it angers the reader beyond limits,
ohow on earth can u make brutus and caeser being in the same house since the beginning of their time, how on earth can u kill marius when he was actually a great roman general and his reforms changed the history of rome itself... omg never read this book if u know history , never read this book if u know about rome, never read this book if u cant take a joke like this on history, read it only for the sake aof reading and that u have paid for it , unfortunately.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe I finished the book but only by ignoring the many inaccuracies. I completely agree that historical fiction should not play fast and loose with history.