Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Blue Notebook

The Blue Notebook by James Levine

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: india, fiction
Read in November, 2009

What a horrifying story. From the book jacket, the story of how this book was written is told. Levine, a doctor at the Mayo Clinic, was interviewing homeless children on a street in Mumbai where the child prostitutes work. A young woman was writing in a notebook outside of her cage. This captured his attention and, in turn, resulted in this book.

The imagery is horrifying - too much so, in my opinion. I understand that the author was trying to impress upon his readers the gravity and horror of the situation, but there was too much information divulged. The readers of this book are, I would hope, intelligent enough to understand what is happening without our hand being held through it all.

The actual story of the girl was heart-breaking. In a world where happy endings just don't happen all that often, this is a stark reminder of that. The author has done a good deed in donating all his U.S. proceeds from the book to help exploited children, and after reading this story, it's fully understandable why he would do this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Notebook.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susan Storm I felt pretty much the same way about this book. I felt like, yes, I had learned something and had more compassion and desire to help people in this situation, however I felt like at times the author could have still told us what happened without relying on shock-effect so much.