Warnie B.'s Reviews > Fly by Night

Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge

Nov 12, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009, fantasy, young-adult, books-about-books
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

I really enjoyed Hardinge's most recent book, The Lost Conspiracy, and between that and all the five star reviews for Fly By Night on here, I naturally assumed I'd like this one just as much. But I was wrong. I never really connected with the main character, and then the story itself...just never really interested me (the main point also seemed REALLY heavy handed). And it's very difficult to enjoy a book when you don't care about anybody or anything in it. Another thing: part of what I loved about The Lost Conspiracy was that it seemed like EVERY detail brought up somehow came back into the story later on--the plot was so intricately constructed and there were no loose ends or descriptions that didn't matter in some way. But this one felt a lot sloppier and less well constructed. I'm left with the idea that Hardinge has improved much since she published this one, so I'll still give Well Witched a try. But now I have much less confindence in that story than I did before I read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly by Night.