Chris's Reviews > Dancer

Nov 03, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: recommended-by-friends
Read in November, 2009

An advantage of the bad weather is the opportunity to finally finish this book; and a great excuse to neglect the growing list of jobs my wife manages to create with apparent ease.

Unlike Nureyev’s feet, I found myself dragging mine; hoping the next page I turned was the last. I almost volunteered to rake leaves off the lawn in the pouring rain, or decorate the kitchen again rather than struggle with the cast of twenty odd characters telling their story of Nureyev’s journey from Russia in 1940.

Technically this book is outstanding; Colum McCann is an incredible writer, he skilfully pirouettes from first to third voice narrative, jumps seamlessly and randomly from character to character. McCann’s sharp vivid descriptions kept me reading, rather than abandoning yet another book; which would be destined for my local charity shop unread.

I’m sure anyone who is a fan or Nureyev or dance would rate this as a ‘Must Read’. Regardless of what the text on the back jacket implies; ‘The Dancer’ is more of a slow Waltz or Foxtrot instead of the Moon Walk or Break dance we were promised... Actually ‘Gumboot Dance’ is more appropriate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancer.

11/11/2009 page 38