Louis's Reviews > The Meaning of Matthew: My Son's Murder in Laramie, and a World Transformed

The Meaning of Matthew by Judy Shepard

Nov 02, 2009

I gave this book five stars because it is such a frank commentary by Judy Shepard on her son and her reaction to his murder. The death of Matthew Shepard still moves me deeply, for various complex reasons. That is one of the reasons I read this book--to try to make sense out of why the death of one gay person, as opposed to the other deaths of gay people by haters, so affected me. It is interesting to imagine how your life with your son has been essentially a private family matter. Even as you hear that he has been hospitalized, imagine being in the airport and seeing that your son's murder is on the cover of multiple newspapers. How do you deal with your son in the hospital when suddenly this demand from the rest of the world is coming in on you? Judy's forthrightness and willingness to share her range of emotions to these events were very moving to me. And her call for an end to all hate and violence is one which we need to work at. As she says in the book, "begin to heal". I think that the subtitle summarizes the conundrum, how a murder could lead to a world transformed. But it has. I also have to give Judy credit for not including photos in this book--it really isn't the place. Every time I see a picture in some other place of that fence, though, I am just chilled to the bone.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Meaning of Matthew.

07/11 marked as: read