Teresa's Reviews > Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina

Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves

Nov 18, 09

Recommended for: history buffs, fans of "I, Claudius"
Read in November, 2009

After realising that there was a sequel to "I, Claudius" I didn't think that it would be better or as good as the first novel. However, I truly enjoyed "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves especially because of how Graves's writing is so easy to understand and very enjoyable. One doesn't need to know any knowledge about the Roman Empire (but I would recommend reading the first novel just to get a better understanding and background of the Julio-Claudian dynasty) in order to love the book.

Here, the story continues with the next chapter of the reluctant, stuttering, idiotic Roman Emperor Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. Although I don't believe this book is as juicy as the first because is focuses more on Claudius and less on his nasty family whose lives revolved around hedonism, decadence, sex (with the occasional incest) and murder. Despite this, the book still holds up on its own with a few assassination plots and orgies.

I really enjoyed reading this novel not just because of the story but also knowing that Graves did not make up any of the characters, way of life and the background. I wish all historical books were like this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina.