Sarah's Reviews > The Romanov Prophecy

The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry

F 50x66
Oct 12, 2007

bookshelves: actionforactionssake, bookstoreadonaplane
Recommended for: people on plane rides, people who are demi-history nerds
Read in December, 2006

I think that to enjoy this book, you need to be someone in my demographic: a history nerd who doesn't specialize in Russian history but knows enough of the basic details to be interested. If you are a Russian history scholar? This book will probably drive you up the wall.

However, I'm no scholar, so I'm able to ignorantly overlook any and all historical and factual mistakes that Berry makes while taking us on this action thrill-ride. It deals with one of the more provocative and famous aspects of The Motherland's great history: the execution of the Romanovs, and the speculated survival of Anastasia.

By far my favorite part of this book is the scene where Berry describes his fictional account of the execution. He details the thoughts of the guards, the actions of the family, the discreet and extremely unlikely (though highly fascinating) events that took place to save the youngest children.

All of this is tied into some present-day plot that I believe had to do with the Russian government, but I don't really remember. My point is that if you're a demi-history nerd such as myself and you have a long plane ride coming up? Check out this book. It should meet your every need.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romanov Prophecy.