Jesse Dixon's Reviews > Cause Of Death

Cause Of Death by Patricia Cornwell

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read from November 10 to 14, 2011

Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell is a crime novel with a medical procedure angle. Kay Scarpetta is the main character and is a medical examiner, looking at the bodies that come into the morgue, which sometimes results in medical examinations being described in graphic detail.

The case is about a reporter, Ted Eddings who is found dead diving at a disused naval ship yard. Scarpetta suspects it’s a murder early when she receives a phone call tipping her off about the diver before the police know. Then there is the smell of cyanide in the victim’s blood.

Although I still enjoyed the book there were times where I thought too much was not being explained enough, with only perhaps this is why, or perhaps this happened, but otherwise it was ok. I’ve read the previous Scarpetta novel ‘From Potter’s Field’ and I can see who the regular characters are. There is her colleague Pete Marino who is at times coarse, but who is a trusted friend of Scarpetta. Wesley is her affair lover who is now getting a divorce from his wife. And Lucy is her niece. Lucy is a recent FBI academy graduate who has a lesbian lover called Janet whose parents are not accepting of their relationship. I think these relationships will be further developed in the remaining novels in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cause Of Death.