Becky's Reviews > Rebel Angels

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Apr 09, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, historical, sheroes, victorian-england
Read from March 25 to April 09, 2010

This second installment in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy was a little harder for me to get into than A Great and Terrible Beauty was. I'm not really sure why, but I struggled with the story for the first few chapters, but then they went back into the realms and I was hooked again! I especially love that they left Spence and spent the majority of the story in London! This series needed a change of scenery and London at Christmastime was perfect.

I find myself torn with my feelings for Felicity and Ann. Sometimes I really like both of them and other times I really hate them! I suppose that's what you're meant to feel for them though. The reader is never quite sure if the two of them are actually Gemma's friends or if they just use her as a means to enter the realms. I get the feeling that Ann actually does like Gemma, but also that she'd like anyone who paid her the slightest bit of positive attention (not that she thinks very positively of herself). Felicity is the one who I'm never sure of even a little bit. Does she like Gemma? Does she hate Gemma? Is she on the road to becoming the next Sara Rees-Toome?

My favorite parts of this story are the ones that took place outside the realms. I love the Victorian setting and the family/relationship drama. Gemma's relationship with Kartik is changing and, at the same time, she's found Simon and is starting to have feelings for him. Aside from cute boys, we get to find out more about Gemma's family and finally meet her Grandmother. Libba Bray writes great dialog that make her characters come to life and have individual, distinct personalities (something that I really admire because I can't do it).

Overall I was very pleased with the second in this trilogy and look forward to reading the third. Granted, I won't read it for awhile. I can't read books in a series back to back. I always need a little break in between each one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Angels.