JenMcJ's Reviews > A Matter of Time

A Matter of Time by Mary Calmes

Jan 02, 10

bookshelves: e-books, mm-mmm-a-few-mmf-too, z-5-star-reads

4.5 stars but under protest

*note* I originally posted this review to book 2. I was so rattled by the ending apparently I lost my mind. Be warned this book literally ends in the middle of a sentence. You need to pick up the story in book 2.

This first book was really interesting. I love Jory. I love Sam. I love Dane. (This is not a ménage, just all pivotal characters in the book)

Right off the bat I was hooked. It is from Jory's POV (although there is some head-hopping to Sam occasionally)as we watch him basically go through his life.

He accidentally witnesses a murder while doing a friend a favor and from there we start down the life path of Jory. He turns down protective custody because he works for Dane, an straight architect that is like family to him. Now he is being protected by Sam the Detective.

This is GFY in style. Sam was not gay until he fell for Jory (frankly, everybody falls for Jory or Dane in this book) but Sam is very conflicted over it all as you would imagine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Matter of Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carole This is the book that ends in the middle of a sentence?

JenMcJ yes. First book ends in the middle of sentence. Second book ends in the middle of a scene

Amanda This sounds really good, but after reading your review there's no way I'd start the series until all the books are available. :(

ElaineY Thanks for the warning! I'd have hated to start and end the way you described. Any idea when the rest of the books will be available?

ElaineY Jen, would you please post a review for Book 4 when you've read it? I'd like to know whether there's a proper ending or whether I'm going to be left hanging with an open-ended one. Then I'll decide if I want to buy the series.

At $5.99 per book, it's very expensive for the full story so this is one book I'm going to wait for reviews and more reviews before making a decision.

JenMcJ Elaine wrote: "Jen, would you please post a review for Book 4 when you've read it? I'd like to know whether there's a proper ending or whether I'm going to be left hanging with an open-ended one. Then I'll decide..."

It is getting great reviews. Not just from me but from several other sources. I did a review here on gr on each book including the fourth. While I think it really was poorly divided it was well worth the investment, especially since you can get the first three books at Fictionwise for a reduced priced.

ElaineY I bought the lot. As you said, it's got great reviews everywhere I've checked. Plus, I'm a sucker for GFY stories and when it's a mystery as well...irresistible!

I'll start on Book 1 tonight.

ElaineY Oh my...Jory is just *so* adorable. I'm not liking the way Sam is treating him...the jerk.

...and I'm curious about Dane. There seems to be more than just a protective thing going on between him and Jory and straight men aren't that touchy-feely with their gay friends, never mind their employee.

Are they?

JenMcJ They have a very unique relationship but it is only brotherly

ElaineY JenMcJ wrote: "They have a very unique relationship but it is only brotherly"

Yeah, I've reached the part where Dane wants that - literally.