Nicole's Reviews > Welcome to the Jungle

Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher

Apr 21, 2015

bookshelves: graphic-novels, urban-fantasy, read-more-than-once, vampires-after-all
Recommended to Nicole by: julia Andersen
Recommended for: all Harry fans
Read in October, 2013 — I own a copy

First read 28 December, 2009. Re-read 28 January, 2012. (The 28s are just a coincidence.) Re-read 31 October, 2013--the last few years, I like to celebrate Halloween with some Harry D. Happy birthday, pal.

A 4 star read in terms of graphic novels, although very simple and streamlined in comparison to any of the regular Dresden novels. A fun, quick read.
Turns out Butcher was inspired to write Harry in part by his love of comic books and characters like Peter Parker. It makes sense. This is a nice addition to the Dresden series. The story is pretty good, and Ardian Syaf's artistic style is very detailed. The art is better in terms of realistic detail than for the supernatural elements. The regular humans, animals, and surroundings are very well done. There's a lot to appeal to both male and female readers here (or should I say, those interested in men and those interested in women?). Harry is more handsome than I'd pictured him; Butcher notes that he looks very much as *he* pictures him. But the women aren't overdone pinup types, which is a nice change of pace! Zoo worker Will (Wilhemina) is a good addition to the Dresden cast of characters. (I wonder why Butcher didn't name her something else, since he already has a character called Will? There are other unisex names. Oh, well.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the Jungle.

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo I see that Jim Butcher is a very prolific writer. Which book should I read first?

Nicole As I haven't read his high fantasy series Codex Alera yet, I'd say go with Storm Front (Dresden Files #1). That is, if you like the whimsy of magic mixed with the grittiness of the detective genre and some really smart-alec humour. If you try it, I hope you like it. I "heart" Harry D.!