Maren's Reviews > Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: favorites
Read in November, 2009

I can't express how much I loved this book and it's not necessarily because the writing was so profound; the timing of its launch and the sheer wealth of facts that it encompasses all add up to what was, for me, its foundational appeal. Jonathan Safran Foer's signature style throughout the book is to pose facts (which are by and large incontrovertible) and layer them with rhetorical questions. His attitude in no way undermines the passion in his ideas or his words, but allows someone like me - someone who has eaten and enjoyed meat my entire life - to feel the full force of his argument without being attacked. I think, for most vegans and vegetarians (*cough* Natalie Portman), this can be a hard note to strike. After finishing the book, I feel as if it's a note that it's all the more important for us to adopt when discussing why we eat meat and, more significantly, how we care for and prepare the animals we eventually devour.

The one thing missing from this book, which the author freely acknowledges, is that it merely hints at aspects of the problem behind our current factory farming system, while focusing more heavily on others. This isn't even so much of a problem, though, as it allows the book to feel focused and well-directed; the implication is all the more damning because it's clear that the repercussions extend far farther than any one book could describe.

I honestly urge every single person who sees this book to pick it up and spend even just 15 minutes with it - pick a chapter, any chapter. It encompasses many other ideas that have been floating around for a while but does so with such compassion and elegance that it was hard not to be genuinely moved by it. I can't say that I'll ever go back to eating meat again after reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.

Quotes Maren Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“You can call your turkey organic and torture it daily. ”
Jonathan Safran Foer, Eating Animals

11/02/2009 page 65
19.06% "In honor of my week+ long stint with vegetarianism."
11/02/2009 page 138
40.47% "Wow."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel Happy to see your review of the book, and your week+ long stint with vegetarianism. I agree that it can be hard for vegetarians to share the reasons for why they're vegetarian, with meat eaters, without the meat eaters feeling like they're being attacked. I'm thankful to hear you could read this and educate yourself without feeling preached at. It says a lot for JSF, that he was able to discuss such a touchy subject in a non-offensive way.

If more people can HEAR the message and let it soak in, this will be a great victory not only for the animals, but for the environment (the air we breathe and the water we drink) and our own health as human beings (physical and spiritual); imagine the karmic burden that will be lifted when we don't have billions of animals suffering like this.

Maren, I hope you'll extend your vegetarian week into the future. It feels really good to know that you can vote "NO" on factory farming by making your food as vegan as you can. It doesn't have to be 100% vegetarian all the time, but if we all switch to diets that are primarily whole foods, plant-based, it will make a big difference.

Maren Rachel wrote: "Happy to see your review of the book, and your week+ long stint with vegetarianism. I agree that it can be hard for vegetarians to share the reasons for why they're vegetarian, with meat eaters, w..."

Going on more than two weeks and have never been happier :) Thanks for your kind comment and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.