Beth's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Nov 09, 09

Read in November, 2009

This book drew me in with it's fabulous cover art and the beautiful drawings throughout the book. Also, I love the steam punk, alternate history style of writing that I loved so much in the Airborn series.
This one is an alternate history at the start of WWI. The powers are divided into the Clankers, or German alies who use technology to create iron walking machines armed with guns and amuntion and the British Darwinists who use modified DNA to create new life forms such as the massive whale airship the Leviathan.
The story is split between Alek, the Austrian Prince who is on the run after his parents are assasinated and Deryn Sharp a girl disguised as a boy in an effort to join the British Air Service.
An utterly unique and imaginitive story full of action and adventure, even a little mystery and intrigue.
I will be looking forward to the next book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Afton Nelson I have this book from the library and don't know if I'll get to it before it's due. Let me know if I should move it to the top of the pile.

Beth I'm enjoying it, the setting reminds me of the Airborn books. If you need to return your copy to the library call me. I found this one at Costco and bought it. I couldn't resist the beautiful artwork and Alyssa Eucker told me it was good.