Allison's Reviews > A Rose for Melinda

A Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDaniel

F_50x66
Nov 02, 09

The book A Rose For Melinda is about a girl who has been in ballet since she was six years old and has had a friend who was a boy and he went to her first performance and gave her a rose. This book was very sad because Melinda finds out she has cancer and can no longer do ballet which is the most important thing in her life besides her best friend Jesse. The most captivating part of the book was when Melinda was rushed to the hospital without her parents there because she was accepted into a summer dance program. What kept me reading this book was the book was made into all the emails and letters that were sent between Jesse and Melinda. It was kind of hard to predict the ending of the book because parts I guessed were right and other parts were wrong. My favorite character in the book was Jesse because he’s depressed the entire time because first she moves away then he finds out she has cancer and can’t do ballet any more. In my opinion I think he had the hardest time dealing with everything. My least favorite character is Bailey because at times she’s cool but other times she’s kind of annoying and that’s what makes me dislike her as a character. I think the author wrote this book because she wanted to tell a story about how life altering things can happen in a teenagers life, and to tell how hard life can be if you have a disability. I would recommend this book to anyone who can relate to the struggles that happen when you have a disability and also to people who are okay to cry while reading a book. My favorite line from the book is “I’ll be your eyes and ears, Jesse” because Bailey is confirming that she will tell him everything that happens to Melinda. If the book was made into a movie I’d choose Dakota Fanning as Melinda, Abigail Breslin as Bailey, and Josh Hutcherson to play the role of Jesse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose for Melinda.