Willie Krischke's Reviews > The Big Rewind: A Memoir Brought to You by Pop Culture

The Big Rewind by Nathan Rabin

U 50x66
Nov 02, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

Nathan Rabin may not be a household name yet, or ever, but this book's a (mostly) compelling read anyone. He's a certified smartass, and his humor propels things along beautifully. And what a story to tell. Horatio Alger would be green with envy, if he weren't dead and gray. As you probably already know from reading the book summary (and other reviews) Rabin went through hell as an adolescent. Literally. Ok, not literally, but almost.

Rabin opens every chapter with some reference to pop culture and what it had to do with his life. This works better sometimes than others; there are definitely chapters where it feels like he was searching for the reference well after the chapter was writ, and stuck something in to make his editors stop crying. Every now and then he gives in to the almost unavoidable self-indulgence of memoir-writing; we don't really need to hear about his high school volleyball tournament and I could've handled about twenty fewer pages about the college house he stayed in.

So it's longer than it needs to be. Editing one's life into interesting tidbits must be tough work. Give him a break. It's funny, and sad, and mean, and funny, and um...did I say funny? Yeah. Nabin's, like, totally a way better writer than I. Me. Whatever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Rewind.