Ying Che's Reviews > Living History

Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Nov 01, 2009

it was ok

My mistake to pick up a memoir written by a politician who was still trying to climb up the ladder of power. In addition to telling life stories, a good memoir author should be able to honestly face the ultimate question from herself: who am I. In this book, however, there is only the person whom she wanted the public to think to be - credible, steady, intelligent and very devoted to family. I wonder if her PR has filtered the contents for better polls. But while she was busy justifying herself, I also see someone who didn’t forgive easily (hatred towards the investigations on the whitewater case), bent to pressures (failed to push the healthcare reform) and was lack of sensitivity (always seemed very surprised when close friends and even her husband did something wrong). There is nothing wrong with pursuing more power, especially if the purpose is to “prepare the nation for the future”. I am also not trying to judge her as a person as I hold a very neutral opinion here. It’s just not the memoir I appreciate, as there is too much self-justification and too little introspection. Maybe next time if she writes again while facing the last judgment, I will buy one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living History.

09/01/2016 marked as: read