Trisha's Reviews > Chain of Hearts

Chain of Hearts by Maureen McCarthy

Nov 09, 09

bookshelves: family-drama, drama, reviewed
Read in November, 2009

This is a book set in a small Australian town - well, sort of set between the small town and the city - which spans three generations, but mostly focuses on 2. I really enjoyed this book and although they must have not had a very good proof reading (there are quite a few grammatical errors throughout the book) I think it was a very well told story. Even if the writing wasn't top notch.

Sophie is a teenager who was the third child and has always been overlooked, but not only that actually treated terribly, by her mother. She's been put down since she was a little girl and it is having ramifications in the present. But what's really haunting her is the recent death of her best friend and departure of her boyfriend, which she blames herself for.

This is also the story of Sophie's mother and her aunt, and the fact that they haven't spoken for about 20 years. It's about Sophie's uncle Jimmy and the horrors he saw in Vietnam, and Jimmy's fellow solder Blue who haunts the family still.

The story is overall about facing the past and coming to terms with it...and of rising above it and putting family before it.

I was happy with how it all turned out but it was pretty sad in parts. I don't really have much to say except I was never bored with the book, so if you're into family drama type stories I'd recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chain of Hearts.

11/01/2009 page 76