Liza's Reviews > The Vagina Monologues

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

Nov 03, 09

Don't quite see what all the fuss is about. I suppose I don't have that many nether issues to be strongly affected by it. It also makes sense that this should be seen as a live performance and not read as a book.

This book did get me thinking that I will never make a proper "feminist". I completely fail to see my vagina as a "nexus of power" or my "center of being". I don't think there's anything particularly special about the old va-j-j. Its just an organ. Yes, a very useful one and I would not want to go without it, but perhaps the liver or a brain is a tad more vital. I simply cannot say that it defines me in any way (which parts of the book suggest it should).

In fact, I have never defined myself in terms of my femininity, much less my reproductive organs. Its part of me, yes, but not the defining part. Does anyone else feel this way?

What about men? To all you male book bloggers out there: Do you think of your penis as an epicenter of your masculinity and your being? Is the penis the tool for having sex, or do you have sex in order to appease the penis? Just curious....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vagina Monologues.