Terri's Reviews > The Killer's Cousin

The Killer's Cousin by Nancy Werlin

F_50x66
Nov 06, 09

I've never read anything by Nancy Werlin - boy was I missing out! I listened to "The Killer's Cousin" on audio tape. It is a taut, psychological thriller that I found myself taking the long way as I drove so that I could listen longer. At the end, I sat in the school parking lot before work crying as I listened to the last several minutes of the book. Terrific last line that reminds us of the magic, or spirituality, or kismet, or whatever you want to call it, in all of our lives. Fantastic1

Prior to the beginning of the book, David Yaffee was accused of murdering his girlfriend. He was acquitted - it was an accident - but still feels remorse and thinks his punishment is to learn to live with what he has done. He is sent to live with his aunt and uncle (who reluctantly take him in) and finish his senior year at a new school. He lives in an upstairs apartment where his cousin, Kathy, "committed suicide" four years earlier. He is haunted by Kathy "telling" him to "help Lily," his eleven year old cousin and Kathy's sister. Lily acts strangely and stalks David, doing everything she can to make his life miserable. The tension mounts to a "hellish" climactic scene!

Teens will love this thriller, filled with psychological and physical action! In the process, they will get positive messages about friendship, having the courage to speak up, the ability to put others before yourself, showing and telling others how you feel, forgiveness, and the precariousness of this precious thing we call "life." The only objectionable thing about the book is the use of the "f" word. It is shocking in its use but is absolutely necessary to the story. "The Killer's Cousin" is highly recommended for all teen libraries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer's Cousin.