Mike's Reviews > The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship

The Teammates by David Halberstam

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: never-finished-never-will, non-fiction
Read in November, 2009

20 years ago, when I was 11 or 12, I was out with my mom's boyfriend when we saw Ted Williams. Knowing that I was a huge baseball, Red Sox, and Ted Williams fan (I owned and studied The Science of Hitting), my mom's boyfriend walked up to him and asked him very politely if he would autograph something for me. Ted's response? "What the hell did that kid ever do for me?" And he walked away.

Needless to say, I have not been a Ted Williams fan ever since.

I went into this book with an open mind. Maybe I'd learn something I didn't know before. Maybe it was just a bad day for ol' Teddy Ballgame. But when I got to pages 14 and 15 of this book, the author goes on like this:

"Joe DiMaggio might have hit in 56 consecutive games, a seemingly unrivaled record, but he never won 33,277 arguments in a row, like Ted Williams, the undisputed champion of contentiousness. Ted Williams never lost an argument, in no small part because he was bright and he marshaled his facts and argued well, but also because he shouted all the time and appointed himself judge and jury at the end of each argument to decide who won. He never lost an argument because he was Ted Williams. In his playing days, he would be there every day in the clubhouse, holding forth-the Ted Williams Lecture Series-at least a speech per day, orating and arguing at the same time."

Gee, sounds like a "splendid" (see what I did there?) guy. And the author is apparently attempting to paint him as a nice guy? A likable guy?

I did not get past page 15.

(I am not rating the book because it's not the book that I dislike.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teammates.

Matthew Szewczyk It's a shame you didn't read more, there is a lot about his darker personality and believe me when I tell you that people got a lot worse then you from him.