Anthony's Reviews > The Cold Dish

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson

Nov 01, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read in October, 2009

Great book. I am a a fan of CJ Box who writes about a Wyoming game warden and someone suggested Craig Johnson. Craig just brings it to another level! C.J. is a great potboiler writer. Quick and easy. Just a good fun read while on the airplane or at the beach. I am not trying to belittle CJ at all. I am a fan. Craig is more about prose and incredible dialogue. This book takes place in Wyoming and the protagonist is a Sheriff in a small county. Great characters and dialogue. I laughed out loud a few times. The book was a touch predictable though he tries to shake you off the scent a few times. Anyway, this is a great read. Every character is fleshed out no matter how small. The give and take between Walt (main character) and Henry (His best friend, an Indian) is hilarious. Definately worth your time to pick up this book and get into the series. Afterward, maybe check out C.J. Box and get back to me about your take on their writing. Also, the tv show, Longmire, does a great job of keeping the spirit of the books and characters alive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cold Dish.

Ellen Gemmill OK - added the first in the series by CJ Box to my Amazon wish list. Thanks!

message 2: by Anthony (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anthony Let me just say that CJ's 1st book is not the hardest mystery to figure out. But it gives you a feel for the characters and the setting. He does become a better writer. His 2nd and 3rd book show improvement and there are a few books later on #5 and #8 I thought were really good.

Ellen wrote: "OK - added the first in the series by CJ Box to my Amazon wish list. Thanks!"

Ellen Gemmill Thanks for the advice - I read most of John Sandford, Jonathan Kellerman, the Harry Bosch series, Robert Parker, etc. and need something new to latch on to!