Todd's Reviews > Doomsday Book

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Nov 01, 09

Read in November, 2009

It doesn't take 500 pages to tell a story about an incompetent shmuck breaking a time machine because he refused to take a sick day. I've written better science fiction stories in my mind while waiting for something interesting to happen in this book.

Here are some tips for the people responsible for this book:

1) When you create the expectation of a twist, create a twist to go with it. Don't just have Badri say "something's wrong" then take a nap for 300 pages.
2) Characters in a book should really be concentrating on the story, you don't have to tell us every dumb little thing that pops into their ADHD riddled minds. In the middle of a biomedical crisis I really don't care that the doctor's thinking about how overprotective the mother of her idiot nephew is.
3) When you create two parallel storylines in a time travel book, connect them in some way. Don't just compare and contrast people's old-timey and futuristicy way of dealing with the same uninteresting crap.
4) When you're selected as a Hugo or Nebula award judge, you need to sober up for a few days. Don't just stumble into the auditorium after a night of pounding jagermeister at Senor Frogs.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doomsday Book.