Amanda's Reviews > Desperation

Desperation by Stephen King

Nov 01, 09

Read in November, 2009

Not one of my favorites. I don't really know why. It didn't lack for strong characters or excitement or anything. I just didn't like it as much. Maybe it was too brutal for me. This is one of the strongest Dark Tower tied books. There are references everywhere. And though the same characters that inhabit the Regulators are in Desperation...the circumstances are totally different. What was particularly interesting about this book was God. This is the first Stephen King book where God played a such a prominent role. I mean, you get some of it in Salem's Lot, but this book really touches on the difficult questions. This book, more than any other, js about faith in the purest sense and Stephen King uses the most common example to drive his point home.

Perhaps it was because I read The Regulators first and liked the characters in that setting. Reading such an abruptly different version of the events clashed with my preexisting affection. Kind of like watching a movie based on a book, but they've totally messed it up and rewritten the story. It was good though. I just found it not as gripping as some of the other books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperation.