Katrina Burchett's Reviews > Keysha's Drama

Keysha's Drama by Earl Sewell

May 14, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult, ya-books-for-mature-readers, kimani-tru
Read from May 11 to 13, 2010

Sixteen year old Keysha Kendall doesn't get much love from her mother, Justine (she calls her by her first name). Her friend, Toya Taylor isn't a good influence and her ex-boyfriend, Ronnie, doesn't want anything to do with her. More than anything she needs someone to care about her; someone to make her feel safe, loved and wanted. She finds that person when the father she never knew is located, but it takes her a while to realize it.

Keysha referred to herself as `troubled' and that was sad. I didn't see her that way at all. She was an intelligent girl who was angry and considering her circumstances she had every reason to be. She didn't have good judgment, though, when it came to picking her friends; she ended up in bad situations following after them. And it was a shame that she had a mother like Justine and a grandmother like Rubylee.

Don't judge a book by its cover - this is so true, yet I do it all of the time. With such an innocent looking girl on the cover of this book, I did not expect Keysha to use so much profanity. Actually, there is quite a bit of bad language in this story, not all of it coming from her mouth - words I can't stand to read or hear. I bought this book in support of Kimani Tru and because I took notice to five star reviews. I expected to enjoy the story. I can't say I totally disliked it; for me it was just okay. It was interesting in the beginning but I didn't like all of the profanity, especially coming from Keysha, and certain content turned me off . I did like Keysha's Grandmother Katie, a wise woman who gave her granddaughter good advice. And there are lessons to be learned about valuing oneself.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keysha's Drama.

Rhayna Kramer I agree. I felt that some of the content was too sensual for teens.