Sandra Stiles's Reviews > Love, Aubrey

Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur

Oct 31, 09

bookshelves: middle-grades, realistic-fiction
Read in October, 2009

It took me a couple of days to read this book because I kept crying. After my first crying spell I knew I would not be able to read this book while I was at school. This is the story of a young girl who loses her father and younger sister in a car crash. She and her mother survive. She is left with a scar. She wakes up one morning and hears her mother’s car leaving. She tells herself that her mother is just going for a drive to clear her head. Her mother doesn’t return. After several days her grandmother shows up and takes her back to Vermont while they try to locate her mother. This was a fabulous story of survivor’s guilt, and learning to cope with the death of those you love. This is a book that is beneficial to any age. I am always talking to my students about making connections. This reminded me of my cousins who lost her grandson in a terrible accident. She, her new husband, middle and older son survived. Her baby died. The back of the van was wrapped around the older son and the middle child walked around the house for days unable to sleep. His grandmother had to take him in. Eventually the husband left the mother because he felt she should be over the grief after a month. Everyone deals with death differently. I felt sorry for Aubrey, her mother and grandmother. I felt their pain.
This is a definite for my shelves and a must read for my friends and students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Aubrey.