Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Bonds of Justice

Bonds of Justice by Nalini Singh

Wow! Max, you sure know how to seduce a reader, I mean woman. I just fell in love with you. They should put a 'Dangerous' label on you. You are not at all intimidated being a plain old human (snorting when I write that), even though you are surrounded by folks who could rip you to shreds or melt your brain. You are confident enough to claim a formidable 'J' Psy as your very own woman. How could you not become one of my favorite heroes in this series? Not to mention the fact that you are gorgeous and part-Asian (drooling on keyboard). Again, I wonder if this author is actually a Psy and is extracting data directly from the dark corners of my mind.

Bonds of Justice moved up the list of books in this series, and to near the top of my favorites list. Unlike many fans, I actually enjoy the Psy-focused storylines. Something about these people of formidable mental abilities, and their struggle to stay in control. Control is a theme that hits me hard. Control of oneself, control of others. Escaping control, gaining control. Different aspects of control as a concept resonates deeply with me. I like stories in which the protagonists wrestle with control issues. I like to see the ice cold walls come down, or for them to loosen enough to let that character love and be loved.

Max and Sophia are a perfect pair. They are both wounded on the inside (and for Sophia-also on the outside). Both of them look deeper to see their soulmates. Max was one of the first people to actually 'see' Sophia. To want to take care of her, and to know her. She was thrown away by her parents because she was deemed 'unfit' after she was nearly destroyed by a psychotic Psy as a child. She took the only option available for a Psy of her talents, that as a J-Psy. They have a notoriously short lifespan because of the stressors of their job. They have to work with the worst of humanity, extracting ugly memories to help to solve the most heinous of cases. Eventually all that ugliness destroys them from the inside out. When Sophia meets Max, she knows her days are numbered. But, because she was never subject to Silence, she feels an attraction to him that she decides to pursue, to allow herself to feel that way before her life is taken from her by the Psy (or face total rehabilitation). Close proximity to Max on a case in which they are trying to determine who is trying to kill powerful Psy Councilor Nikita Duncan reveals that he's a man she cannot resist. And Max is more than willing to pursue her. I cared about Sophia, loved her. I wanted her to find that chance of happiness with Max. I think she's deserved it, with her lonely, selfless life. No one should feel so isolated and unloved.

Max has all the traits I love in a hero: keenly intelligent, possessive, strong-minded, a good sense of humor, an infallible sense of justice, and the insight to see the beauty in a wounded Psy like Sophia. Max had some very deep scars. His mother was very cruel to him, abusing him and showing her hatred in every way. He never felt worthy or loved growing up. As an adult, he became dedicated to seeking justice for people, and became one of the most relentless and formidable cops in the Enforcement system. I just adored him. I wanted him to see how worthy he truly is.

I was rooting so hard for Max and Sophia to find their happy ending. I like the way that Nalini Singh worked things out in this book. She broke a pattern and found a resolution that progresses the Psy storyline in a way that makes my interest even more keen.

Big changes are coming for the Psy, that have the potential to affect all three races: Psy, Changeling, and Human. I am excited to see where things go from here.

Gosh, I am so addicted to this series, and this book only made it worse. Ms. Singh tantalized me with glimpses of one of my favorite supporting characters, Psy Councilman, Kaleb Krychek. She has me drooling here. What a sexy, scary, cool, dangerous character here. He's terribly enigmatic. The man has one heck of a siren call going on for this reader. She has to write a book for him. I insist.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I loved this book. There was quite a bit going on, but the romance was lovely, and the Psy elements were awesome. There was even a good mystery thrown in. It was cool to catch up with some of the characters from past books, and to see that they were doing well. I liked how Ms. Singh intertwined Sascha's ongoing storyline so well into this story. There are layers and layers of subtext going on here that balance the Psy-Changeling storyline beautifully. Yup, this is definitely in my top three books in this series. Max, you are giving Hawke, Dorian, and Dev a run for their money, and you have surpassed Judd, although I love that man too. What a major feat for a mere human!

Great story here. Loved it!!! Check out this absurdly-addictive series if you haven't yet. It starts with Slave to Sensation.
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonds of Justice.

09/21/2010 page 82
show 1 hidden update…

valee I loved this one, although it was different from the rest. It has a bit more thriller in it, but I liked that a lot.

Arch lol, the two ladies. :)

valee hahaha. Never thought about that when we were talking,LOL. We should start a thread somewhere with all the ladies out there,LOL.

Arch Yeah :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Haha! I had to think about that. You got me, Arch!

Arch Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Haha! I had to think about that. You got me, Arch!"

MsMiz (Tina) I was surprised at how much I likes this book and Max as well. I had originally wrote it off as a story transition book, but Nalini got me again with another great read.

Dina "Ms. Singh tantalized me with glimpses of one of my favorite supporting characters, Psy Councilman, Kaleb Krychek. She has me drooling here. What a sexy, scary, cool, dangerous character here. He's terribly enigmatic. The man has one heck of a siren call going on for this reader. She has to write a book for him. I insist."

Hear, hear! Awesome review, Danielle. I loved this book too.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Dina.

I wasn't sure what NS would do with this book, but I loved the result.

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Me too! When I first heard she was going to feature Max as a hero, I'm ashamed to say I thought she'd lost her mind. I should've known better. She never disappoints. :)

valee Wow girl, you sure know how to write a review. It makes me feel ashamed for all the ones I have wrote. I wish I could express myself as well as you do.

Amazing review Danielle. Loved it. And this was an amazing read. I enjoyed every page!

Catherine Great review, Danielle! You mentioned people not liking the Psy focused books - I didn't realize that! I really enjoy them.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, girls. Some fans seem to prefer the changeling storylines, Catherine. Normally, I do too. But the Psy seem to get my attention!

MelissaB Great review Danielle! I love this series!

Karyn Great review Danielle. I didn't think i'd like this much since i figured there wouldn't be too many pages on the changelings. But Max and Sophia really are something. I liked the different ending too..
and yes, we really do need more of Kaleb ..a lot lot more

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Loved your review! Loved Max and KALEB TOO!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Oh sorry for belated thanks, Melissa and Karyn. I think I am officially more of a Psy girl now. I find the idea of a guy who can kill with his mind very sexy! LOL. Of course, Hawke reminds me how much I like the wolves.

Thanks, Annie. I'm eagerly awaiting Kaleb's book!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Me too! We need to send Ms. Singh a psychic message!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO!! And tell her that Kaleb should be mine! Actually no, you can have Kaleb. I'll take Hawke!

message 23: by D.G. (last edited Feb 22, 2011 04:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.G. I'll take Kaleb!

Great review, Danielle. You captured exactly my feelings regarding the Psy. That's why Jude's story is still my favorite although I agree that this one was just awesome. :)

message 24: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I find the idea of a guy who can kill with his mind very sexy! LOL."

I think I'm going to refer you to my psychiatrist, LOL.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Annie, that's a tough choice. Can I have weekends with Hawke and take Kaleb for during the weeks, although apparently I'll have to share Kaleb with DG? Argh! I hate sharing!

Dina, I know I need help. But I don't want the cure!

And thanks, DG!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! Okay, that works for me! As long as I get Hawke for most of the week!

message 27: by TJ (new)

TJ EEEEE!!! I'm behind you in this series, after reading your review, I've GOT to get reading!!!