Lise's Reviews > In the Garden of Iden

In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker

Nov 08, 11

Read in January, 2002 — I own a copy, read count: 2

This is my second time reading this delightful book--and I have to say, there is a lot to notice if you've picked this up after reading other Company novels. Mendoza calling herself "the machine's child," mention of the Great Goat Cult, Joseph's rant at Nicholas at their last meeting... these all make so much more sense if you've read later books.

Usually I prefer Joseph's side of the tales--his "slimy little man" pragmatism appeals the most to me--but Mendoza's teenage romanticism was less grating this time around. The first time I read this I don't think I realized what an unreliable narrator she is. Knowing that somehow makes it better.

Still things I wonder about, though. Who were the people who bought Mendoza from her mother? Were they Cathars? In the 16th century, were unmarried ladies really allowed alone with men, like Mendoza and Nicholas so often are? (I defer to Kage on this; she did spend half her life at a Ren faire).

Overall, this has not faded any on re-read. The characters are still "more human than human," the plot is still fast-paced, and the romance believable.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Iden.

Quotes Lise Liked

Kage Baker
“Boy, you're good at figuring things out. Isn't he? Except that if anybody's the devil in this room it's _you_, buster." An extraordinary bitterness came into his face. "I've seen you before. I know you, all right, preacher man. Age after age, you come back. You always lead the crusades. You're so damned golden-tongued, other people just flock to die for your causes. You die with them, it's true, because you're stupid enough to believe your own great lies; but you always come back again somehow. Oh, I know _you_.”
Kage Baker, In the Garden of Iden

11/06/2011 page 38
11.0% "Decided to re-read The Company from the beginning. Still have never finished the last two books, and I've been feeling melancholy about Kage's death lately."
11/06/2011 page 134
40.0% ""Unaccountable sensations in the pelvic region." *snerk*"