Rob's Reviews > Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree

Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree by Eileen Christelow

Nov 09, 09

bookshelves: with-holden
Read in November, 2009, read count: 10

This book is fun, if perhaps a big suggestively violent. But the threat of violence looms large in the best children's stories ever written—Grimm's fairy tales, the English folk tale of Titty and Tatty Mouse, this German nurery rhyme about the barber that cuts off kids' fingers when they can't stop sucking their thumbs... Children respond to hyperbole and drastic outcomes. And so with that in mind, we enjoy teasing Mr. Crocodile for the impending *SNAP!*

But I feel like the Mama monkey goes to easy on these five little rascals. She should send them to bed without any supper. Like Max's mom does in Where The Wild Things Are. Except maybe then we'd have some more cannibalism on our hands. And with monkeys, that might turn into a reality. So perhaps we're better off that she caves so early.

Also, the rhyme scheme in here is partial to the point of incomplete. Only the taunting sections rhyme. The rest is a pretty straightforward narrative tone. What gives? This only serves to confuse children, who are expecting all out (if poor) rhyming or else no rhyming at all. These mixed messages sort of ruin it for everyone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree.