Lindi's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Nov 08, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, audio-book
Read in November, 2009

If I Stay is a beautiful book, the story of a young woman who must decide if she will live or die. The rest of her family has been killed in the car accident which has left her unconscious and broken in the hospital and her soul narrates the book. Mia reminisces about her parents and her younger brother, her love for the cello, her best friend Kim and her boyfriend Adam, as she watches the doctors and nurses try to keep her body alive. One of the nurses tells her grandparents that medical personnel may like to think that they save lives, but in reality, the patient is most often the one to decide, will she stay or will she go.

My only hesitation is that Mia's life until the accident, is perfect. Can one person really have the perfect boyfriend, as well as a knowing and simpatico best friend, cool and understanding parents, a non-annoying younger brother, AND immense talent? Is that fair? Am I being churlish?

Maybe Ms Forman chose to give Mia no previous problems so as not to take away from the truly horrible problem in front of her. It just seemed so unrealistic, and for that I subtracted one star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.